Media City UK
Martin Hodgson - Tel: 0161 604 7785 - martin.hodgson at urbanvision.org.uk
MediaCity UK is a £450m project, located on the waterfront at Salford Quays. It’s an innovative, creative hub that incorporates offices, studies, residential, retail, leisure and extensions to essential infrastructure, including a new link road and an extension to the existing Metrolink. The project will deliver £1.5bn to the regional economy, employment opportunities for 15,500 people, 700,000sqm of new and refurbished floor space and the space for 1,150 creative and related businesses.
MediaCity is an extensive regeneration scheme in the Salford Quays area and is the new home of the BBC. The development was granted outline planning consent in September 2006 for a 15 hectare site for mixed use development. The outline application included an Environmental Statement (ES) which included information relating to air quality, noise, ground conditions, impact on water quality, sustainability, transport assessment, planning policy issues and design issues.
Urban Vision carried out a full appraisal of the various specialist elements within the Environmental Statement and negotiated appropriate mitigation, ensuring that the development could be delivered in a manner with appropriate regard to the achievement of environmental sustainability objectives.
In addition, Urban Vision provided a full building control service on behalf of Salford City Council including:
• Design review and liaison with design teams to ensure the requirements of the Building Regulations were met.
• Technical guidance together with practical reviews of the development to ensure risk associated with compliance are identified and managed.
• Developed design compliant solutions suitable to the client.
• Identifying and coordinating key compliance issues such as fire safety, access, means of escape, thermal performance, etc.
• Provided a continuous site presence to ensure construction achieves required standards.
• Managed the fire service consultation process.
By working closely with MediaCity’s fire engineerings consultants, a bespoke fire strategy was developed for each building ensuring that client-led operational requirements were met together with achieving fundamental fire safety aims.
The entire process has been marked by an exemplary level of public private partnership and cooperation from the early efforts to secure the relocation of the BBC to the site to the preparation, processing and determination of planning applications, building regulation and the design of essential infrastructure.